Partnering with GOPA
What is a Get Outdoors Community Partner?
A Community Partner can be a municipality or an organized partnership of municipalities, a county, a land trust or other private non-profit entity that provides programming for the community benefit.
A Community Partner acts as the “host” of the Get Outdoors PA program and is the primary liaison for citizens regarding the partner's Get Outdoors PA programming.
What is a Community program?
A Community Program will:
- offer some level of instruction regarding a Get Outdoors PA outdoor recreation activity
- teach an activity that is human-powered and non-competitive – where participation instead of winning is the goal
- include a message of conservation, environmental stewardship and/or healthy living;
- teach and uphold Best Practices, including safety measures at all times
- occur on land or water that is open to the public for the program and preferably, at all times
- be taught or led by a skilled instructor or guide
- be affordably priced for public accessibility but with intent to cover expenses
- create partnerships with members of the community
Why should my organization become a partner?
*When approved, Community Partners can tap into these resources in the Partner Portal.
- gain access to a tool kit of Get Outdoors PA resources
- increase exposure through community partner profile on the Get Outdoors PA website
- expand outreach by uploading Get Outdoors PA program(s) and details to the Get Outdoors PA website calendar for public viewing
- receive higher visibility with DCNR when submitting DCNR C2P2 grant applications
- access database of “ready-made” outdoor programs
- expand a community wellness program with programs available for use
- increase citizen awareness of public lands and their availability for outdoor recreation
- be part of a large-scale solution to land stewardship and healthy living
- network with other professionals on an annual Web-ex conference phone call for the Community Partners
- become eligible for Get Outdoors PA Mini-Grants
- receive special notice of available instructor trainings
How does it all work?
- select an activity to teach
- identify an audience and program purpose
- apply to be a partner online
- select an instructor
- market and promote
- carry out the program
- evaluate outcome and report on its success!